What is an Illicit Discharge, and how do I report it?

An illicit discharge is anything other than stormwater. Pollutants that are intentionally dumped into stormwater are considered illicit and the polluter can be sited for a violation of the County Stormwater Ordinance if they are caught discharging in to the County Stormwater System. 

Certain activities are allowed, which include (but are not limited to): 

  • Water line flushing 
  • Landscape irrigation 
  • Diverted stream flows or rising groundwater 
  • Infiltration of uncontaminated groundwater 
  • Public safety activities 
  • Pumping of uncontaminated groundwater from potable water sources, or foundation drains, irrigation waters, springs or water from crawl spaces or footing drains 
  • Air conditioning condensation 
  • Lawn watering 
  • Individual residential car washing 
  • Flows from riparian habitats or wetlands 
  • Dechlorinated swimming pool discharges 
  • Street flushing 
  • Those permitted by the State DEQ or DCR

To report illicit discharge, please enter a service request on our website here.

Show All Answers

1. I just moved to York County. How do I start trash collection service or other York County Services?
2. How do I schedule a bulk trash collection?
3. What are the hours of operations for Waste Management?
4. Why didn't my trash get collected?
5. My trash container is missing or damaged. What should I do?
6. How do I dispose of my trash when not collected?
7. How does my trash get collected on a holiday?
8. May I put yard debris in my trash container?
9. Can I put my tires out at the curb for pickup?
10. If I am a contractor bringing waste or yard debris from my residence, do I have to pay?
11. There is water backing up into my shower/toilets/sinks. Is there a sewer backup issue?
12. My home is not connected to the County’s sanitary sewer system, and I have a septic tank. How often should it be inspected?
13. How does stormwater get treated?
14. Who do I call if there is stormwater rising from the stormwater drain?
15. What do I do if my ditches are flooding? Who do I call about a drainage problem?
16. What can I do to reduce flooding?
17. How do I find out what flood zone my property is in?
18. What is an Illicit Discharge, and how do I report it?
19. Who do I call about snow removal? Who do I call to report a pothole/road issue?
20. Where can I get a building permit/building permit inspection?
21. How can I provide feedback on customer service?
22. How can I help reduce pollution?
23. What is TMDL?
24. Who do I call for billing?
25. My water was turned off for non-payment of a York County utility bill. Who do I call?