The County of York and the York County Economic Development Authority have established the COVID‐19 Business Recovery Assistance Grant, using $250,000 in funds provided to York County under the federal government’s CARES Act, to help small businesses impacted by Governor Northam’s Executive Order #53 related to COVID‐19.
This grant is one‐time financial assistance given to eligible for‐profit small businesses in amounts not to exceed $3,000. Grants will be committed and funded on a first‐come, first‐served basis, based upon availability of funds and submission of a complete application, with supporting documentation that clearly justifies how requested funds are related to recovery and/or reopening costs from the COVID‐19 emergency.
Use of Funds
Approvable expenses are those that are directly related to the recovery and/or reopening of the applicant’s business, per the State of Virginia’s reopening guidelines specific to your industry. All items or services must have been purchased/paid for after the Governor of Virginia declared the COVID‐19 emergency (March 13, 2020) and before November 30, 2020. Recovery of lost income is not an approvable expense. Funds may not be used to purchase illegal items, nor may they be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco, medicine, or related items.
- Purchase of PPE (protective supplies, tools, equipment, or inventory) and/or cleaning services or supplies
- Property improvements or renovations of a commercial location to accommodate social distancing and/or outdoor dining, recreation, services, etc.
- Software/Hardware expenses to accommodate delivery, online payments, online reservations, etc.
- Signage, advertising, marketing expenses, etc. to promote that your business is open and/or operating under modified condition
- Payments for rent, mortgages, insurance, and/or utilities during times of required business closure and/or modification.
- Must be a for‐profit business impacted by Governor Northam’s Executive Order 53
- Must employ no more than 250 full time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Must be an active business located and licensed in York County, Virginia prior to March 1, 2020. Business must currently be open for business in some capacity or certify that they plan to do so within three months of the application date.
- Must be in good standing with all local taxes, licenses, permits, etc. Currently not in default or non‐compliance with any county programs or ordinances.
- May not have already received reimbursement from any other local, state, or federal relief programs for the same items the business is applying for reimbursement for under this program
- Corporately‐owned national chains are not eligible for funding.
- Home‐based Businesses may apply, but must clearly show that the expenses are business related, not residential in nature.
- Non‐profit agencies are not eligible for funding.
Application Process & Timeline
- Submit completed , attachments, and receipts via: Email: email@example.com ; Fax: 757‐890‐6670 ; Mail: York County Economic Development, P.O. Box 612, Yorktown, VA 23690
- Receive approval/denial notification from York County Economic Development
- If approved, you will receive grant funding check by mail. Only one check will be issued per application, and applications will not be approved nor paid in piecemeal. However, multiple applications may be submitted until a business reaches their maximum $3,000 grant amount.
NOTE: All reimbursement requests for approved funds must be submitted no later than December 1, 2020 to allow for processing before the federally‐mandated date of December 30, 2020. After that date, all approved grant funds will be forfeited.