Commercial Corridor Property Improvement Grant Program
What is it?
Studies show that businesses stand to make more of a profit when the exterior of their business structure has been updated to be more visually attractive. The goal of this grant program is to assist individual businesses to undertake those improvements and, collectively, improve the overall appearance of the county’s commercial corridors.
If you are interested in improving or updating the exterior of your business, the County’s Commercial Corridor Property Improvement Grant may be able to help! Grants available through this program can be used for exterior improvements or renovations intended to upgrade the appearance of the property/building as viewed from the main commercial corridor.
Grant awards of up to $10,000 (lifetime maximum per commercial property), when matched by funds provided by the business owner, can be used for a variety of exterior improvements such as upgraded architectural features, windows, awnings, lighting, hardscaping, landscaping, sidewalks, parking areas and more.
How does it work?
- Complete, sign, and submit (to the Office of Economic Development) a grant application describing the improvements you wish to undertake. Include all quotes, the signed owner agreement, a signed W-9 form, and a copy of your business license (or ownership documentation).
- We will notify you by email that your application was received. Complete applications received no later than 5:00 PM on the first Tuesday of the month will be scheduled for review and consideration by the York County Economic Development Authority’s CCPIG Evaluation Committee at that month’s meeting.
- We will send you an email to inform you of the Committee’s decision, along with an agreement to sign if the grant has been approved. Once you return the signed agreement, you may begin the work.
What are the qualifications?
- Your business must have a current York County Business License and must have been in operation in a commercially-zoned (EO, GB, LB, or YVA) corridor of York County for a minimum of one year prior to applying for grant funds. (Exceptions to the Business License requirement may be considered for property owners who are not also the business owner.)
- Applications must be approved prior to the start of any work for which grant funding is requested.
- The applicant, business, and/or ownership entity may not currently be in default or non-compliance with any county programs or ordinances.
- Renters must show written proof of the owner’s permission for proposed renovations.
- All grant recipients must consent to before and after photos being taken and used at the county’s discretion for informational and/or marketing purposes.
- Grant recipients are required to sign up for e-news, which provides business resource information, including educational opportunities.
- Work on approved projects must be actively started within six months of grant approval and all projects must be completed within one year of approval.
- Grant funds may be used as a match for any available state grant funds.
Details and Exclusions
- Recurring or general maintenance expenses (e.g. building painting, power washing, lawn mowing, landscape pruning/trimming, etc.) do not qualify for grant funds.
- Grant funds may not be used for past due bills or past expenses.
- Grant funds may not be used for improvements to vacant lots.
- The value of sweat equity provided by the grantee does not qualify as a matching expenditure.
- Grant funds will be paid out only after completion of the approved work. Invoices for completed work must be submitted and must document that the work occurred after the grant approval date in order to be eligible for 50% reimbursement.
- Home-based Businesses, Residential Properties/Uses, Industrial properties, and Non-profit entities are not eligible for funding.
When and Where do I submit my application?
The grant review committee meets on the second Tuesday of each month. Submit application by the first Tuesday of the month, for consideration at that month’s committee meeting, via:
Mail: York County Economic & Tourism Development, P.O. Box 612, Yorktown, VA 23690
In person: York County Economic & Tourism Development, 121 Alexander Hamilton Blvd., Yorktown, VA 23690