Commercial Corridor Property Improvement Grant Program
What is it?
Are you looking to spruce up your commercial property or building? Studies show that businesses stand to make more of a profit when their business exterior is updated and visually attractive
York County’s Commercial Corridor Property Improvement Grant may be able to help! This grant can be used for a one‐time exterior improvement or renovation intended to upgrade the property/building appearance. Up to $10,000 (lifetime maximum per commercial property) in matching funds can be used for qualified external improvements, such as signs, hardscaping, windows, awnings, landscaping, lighting or sidewalks, and more. Our goal is to improve the overall exterior appearance of the county’s commercial buildings and help our businesses succeed.
How does it work?
- Complete, sign, and submit the grant application. Include all quotes, the signed owner agreement, copy of your business license and form W-9.
- We will notify you by email that your application was received. Applications will be reviewed on a monthly basis by the York County Economic Development Authority.
- We will send you an email to inform you of the decision, along with an agreement to sign. Once you return the signed agreement, you may begin the work.
What are the qualifications?
- Your business must have a current York County Business License and must have been in business in a commercially‐zoned (GB, LB, or EO) corridor of York County for a minimum of one year prior to applying for grant funds.(Properties located in industrial parks are not eligible for grant funding)
- Your application must be made prior to start of any work.
- Your business may not currently be in default or non‐compliance with any county programs or ordinances.
- Renters must show written proof of owner’s permission for proposed renovations.
- All grant recipients must consent to before and after photos being taken and used at the county’s discretion for marketing purposes.
- Grant recipients are required to sign up for our Economic Development e‐news, which provides business resource information, including educational opportunities.
- Applicant must start approved projects within six months of grant approval and all projects must be completed within one year of approval.
- Grant funds may be used as a match for any available state grant funds.
Details and Exclusions
- Recurring or general maintenance expenses (i.e. lawn mowing, power washing, painting, etc.) do not qualify for grant funds.
- Funds may not be used for past due bills or past expenses.
- Receipts must be paid in full by applicant and presented to York County showing a date after the grant approval date to be eligible for 50% reimbursement.
- Home‐based Businesses, Residential Properties/Uses, Industrial properties, and Non‐profit entities are not eligible for funding.
Where do I submit my application?
Submit application via:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 757-890-6670
- Mail or in person: York County Economic Development P.O. Box 612 Yorktown, VA 23690
- Commercial Corridor Property Improvement Grant Program Criteria (PDF)