Home-Based Business Assistance
Home-Based Business Resources & SupportWe love our home-based businesses!
In recent years, there has been a substantial increase in home-based business licenses in York County. The data shows that two-thirds of York County's businesses are home-based and that this trend is growing, not just here, but nationwide. The number of home-based businesses in America more than doubled from just 2010 - 2012, with growth continuing upward each year since. Home-based entities are an important sector of York County's business community, creating jobs and generating important tax revenue.
- An annual Home-based Business Conference
- A Home-based Business Transition Grant Program and Business Growth Grant
- Networking opportunities
- Monthly Lunch & Learns focused on home-based business needs
- The York County Chamber of Commerce offers a special tier for home-based businesses, free/reduced rate office space and conference rooms for Chamber Members' Use
Local Home-based Business Resources, Events & Programs
- York County Home-Based Business License Application
- York County Home-Based Business Assistance Programs Flyer
- Peninsula Home-Based Business Network Website
The Home-Based Business Conference and its related Lunch & Learn Series began as programs of the York County Economic Development Office, in partnership with the York County Chamber of Commerce. County representatives learned that two-thirds of York County’s businesses are home-based, a trend that is growing both locally and nationally. In 2018, all six neighboring localities joined together to co-host the conference and lunch & learn series. This strategic partnership allows these nationally award-winning home-based initiatives to reach and assist more local business owners.
Virtual Home-based Business Lunch and Learn Series
Lunch and Learn sessions are free, but requires preregistration. The sessions include a keynote speaker and Q&A. The 2022 series will continue on the second Wednesday of each month through November. The Home-Based Business Virtual Lunch and Learn Series is presented by York County, Williamsburg, James City County, Poquoson, Gloucester, Newport News and Hampton.
- The Retail Alliance LOVEVA Buy Local Initiative
- York County Chamber of Commerce Membership
- START! Peninsula - Annual Startup Competition
- Hampton Roads SBDC
- Launchpad - The Greater Williamsburg Business Incubator
State Programs for Starting Up and Getting Funding
- Virginia Small Business Financing Authority
- Virginia Startup Information
- Virginia Home and Commercial Kitchen-based businesses
State Programs for Home-Based Food Businesses
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Home Food Processing Exemptions (PDF)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Home Food Processing Application (PDF)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services- Guidelines for Providing Safe Food Samples at a Market (PDF)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services- Food Labeling Guidance (PDF)