Home-Based Business Assistance
Home-Based Business Resources & Support
We love our home-based businesses!
In recent years, there has been a substantial increase in home-based business licenses in York County. The data shows that two-thirds of York County's businesses are home-based and that this trend is growing, not just here, but nationwide. The number of home-based businesses in America more than doubled from just 2010 - 2012, with growth continuing upward each year since. Home-based entities are an important sector of York County's business community, creating jobs and generating important tax revenue.
The County partnered with the York County Chamber of Commerce and later with the five peninsula localities and Gloucester, to create the Home-based Business Assistance Program initiative aimed at providing you with the resources and support you need to grow and thrive. This initiative includes:
- A Home-based Business Transition Grant Program and Business Growth Grant
- Networking opportunities
- Lunch & Learn webinar series focused on home-based business needs
- The York County Chamber of Commerce offers a special tier for home-based businesses, free/reduced rate office space and conference rooms
Local Home-based Business Resources, Events & Programs
- York County Home-Based Business License Application
- York County Home-Based Business Assistance Programs Flyer
- Peninsula Home-Based Business Network Website
The Home-Based Business Conference and its related Lunch & Learn Series began as programs of the York County Economic Development Office, in partnership with the York County Chamber of Commerce. County representatives learned that two-thirds of York County’s businesses are home-based, a trend that is growing both locally and nationally. In 2018, all six neighboring localities joined together to co-host the conference and lunch & learn series. This strategic partnership allows these nationally award-winning home-based initiatives to reach and assist more local business owners.
Virtual Home-based Business Lunch and Learn Series
Lunch and Learn sessions are free, but requires preregistration. The sessions include a keynote speaker and Q&A. The 2023 series will be held on the second Wednesday April through October. The Home-Based Business Virtual Lunch and Learn Series is presented by York County, Williamsburg, James City County, Poquoson, Gloucester, Newport News and Hampton.
- The Retail Alliance LOVEVA Buy Local Initiative
- York County Chamber of Commerce Membership
- START! Peninsula - Annual Startup Competition
- Hampton Roads SBDC
- Launchpad - The Greater Williamsburg Business Incubator
State Programs for Starting Up and Getting Funding
- Virginia Small Business Financing Authority
- Virginia Startup Information
- Virginia Home and Commercial Kitchen-based businesses
State Programs for Home-Based Food Businesses
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Home Food Processing Exemptions (PDF)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Home Food Processing Application (PDF)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services- Guidelines for Providing Safe Food Samples at a Market (PDF)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services- Food Labeling Guidance (PDF)